Family Services DirectoryPaper people graphic
Paper people graphic
Link to Keeping Children Safe

FAQs - Training

Child in thought
In this section of the website you will find frequently asked questions about particular issues or situations that affect children and young people and their parents. It is hoped that the answers to these questions will offer people useful information and advice, including links to other websites where appropriate.
What is training in the workplace?
Apprenticeships (formally known as Modern Apprenticeships) are a great way to learn while in the workplace and to gain relevant skills in an occupational area. You also study the relevant vocational qualifications (NVQs) for the work you have chosen to do your training in. This method of learning combines practical experience and qualifications.

What is Entry to Employment?
Entry to Employment (E2E) is a programme of learning that can help you if you do not feel ready, or have not decided, whether to progress onto an apprenticeship, further learning/college or a job. It is for young people usually aged 16-18 years old.

Will I get paid while doing Training?
Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) can be paid in some cases, or a training allowance in others. This depends on the individual training programme or apprenticeship. EMA is a weekly payment of up to £30 but this can vary depending on family income. If young people are employed whilst on an apprenticeship they get a training wage. Help may be given with travel costs, but again this will depend on the training provider.

Where can I find out more about funding for Further Education or training?
See the Department for Education and Skills (DfES) website for help on the different kinds of financial and other help that may be available to you.

I an interested in becoming a Childminder, what do I need to do?

What is an apprenticeship?
Apprenticeships are nationally recognised training programmes for 16-124 year olds who have left full-time educaiton or are already in employment.
They offer young people the opportunity to learn on-the-job with the employer, developing knowledge and skills and gaining qualifications. Apprenticeships include an NVQ qualification, key skills and some cases a Technical Certificate. On an apprenticeship the learner will train to NVQ Level 2 within a work place this will take about 12 months to complete.

Advanced apprenticeships train to a level 3 (supervisory) while they are working full-time and getting a wage. This usually takes up to two to three years to completed depending on the programme.
With a Programme Led Apprenticeship the Learner start the Key Skills andTechnical Certificate and also undertakes work experience with an Employer, before moving onto a full Apprenticeship. For more information on Apprenticeships, go to

What is Entry to Employment (e2e)?
Entry to Employment is a learning programme which is aimed at young people aged 16-18 who are not participating in any post 16 learning. It is designed to help develop motivation, confidence, personal effectiveness and basic key skills. It gives a range of opportunities to gain vocational knowledge, skills and understanding. The aim is that the young person will progress onto an Apprenticeship programme, further learning and/or a job.
For further information visit

What is work based learning (WBL)?
Work Based Learning will allow young people to achieve valuable qualifications at the same time as gaining relevant practical experience in real work situations. On leaving school they can enter WBL either through an Entry to Employment (e2e) programme or an Apprenticeship (depending on what qualifications they gain at school.)

There are several different types of WBL: Entry to Employment (e2e), Apprenticeships and Advanced Apprenticeships.

Whilst doing an Apprenticeship or Entry to Employment will I be paid?
You will be entitled to Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA). It is not a wage but money to purchase books, equipment etc. EMA is subject to eligibility and the weekly payment of £10, £20 or £30 a week is dependent on household income. To get EMA the young person needs to be aged between 16 and 19 and have left compulsory education.
- They will need to be thinking about starting a full-time education course at a College or School
- Joining an LSC-funded Entry to Employment (e2e) programme; or
- Starting a Programme Led Apprenticeship
Young people should apply for EMA as soon as possible so they don't lose out on payments. To apply for EMA you need to complete an application form, these can be obtained from School,

Who provides help for refugees?
North of England Refugee Service - welcome new refugee arrivals to the region. Arrange emergency accommodation for new arrivals. Provide interpreters in many different languages. Careers and education advice. Organise basic welfare benefits under Government programmes.
Arrange legal advice for Immigrationa and Asylum Hearings. Offer support to families and communities as they come to terms with their new situation and integrate into their new communities.

For more information visit or telephone 01642 217447

Do you need funds to help support you in your chosen courses in and out of college?
Youth Opportunity/Capital Fund is available until 2011 with just over £240,000.00 available for each year any young person or groups of young people aged 13-19 years living in Redcar and Cleveland. The fund was made available by central government to improve the provision of positive activities for young people as part of Every Child Matters. Any group or individual can apply for any reason as long as its a positive benefit to them and others.

Uniquely a panel of trained young people make informed decisions on the completed applications. The YOF/YCF project are always looking for new ideas from young people, if you would like to apply then please email or phone Aggie Scott, Project Co-ordinator on 01642 476367 Email for an application form.