Family Services DirectoryPaper people graphic
Paper people graphic
Link to Keeping Children Safe

FAQs - Crime and Disorder

Child in thought
In this section of the website you will find frequently asked questions about particular issues or situations that affect children and young people and their parents. It is hoped that the answers to these questions will offer people useful information and advice, including links to other websites where appropriate.
What is the Antisocial Behaviour campaign (ABC)?
It is a police-led campaign to deal with the problems of anti-social behaviour by young people such as under-age drinking, 'yobbish' behaviour, litter, damage etc. Whenever the police identify a young person whose behaviour is not serious enough to justify arrest and charging with an offence they take the youngster's details.
  • These details are sent to and recorded by the District Intelligence Unit (in Redcar & Cleveland this is the Langbaurgh unit).
  • A letter is sent to the parents pointing out the youngster's behaviour and asking for their co-operation in preventing it reoccurring.
  • If during the next six months a similar report is received a second, sterner letter is sent and the various partner agencies including the Youth Offending Team, the local housing provider (if relevant) and the school are notified.
  • If the behaviour persists a multi-agency meeting decides what action to take.
  • This could involve criminal prosecution, suspension from school, tenancy enforcement, acceptable behaviour and parenting agreements, anti-social behaviour and parenting orders.

What is the Final Warning scheme?
The ‘Andy Social’ page on the Cleveland Police website explains what a final warning is in a comic strip format:

I have been the victim of crime. Where can I get help to get over it?
Ask the police to refer you to the Victim Support Scheme

The Victim Support (Redcar & Cleveland) website gives further information:

They may be other services that can help you if you are a victim of crime. Please check our service directory information.

I have to be a witness in court and am worried about this. Can I be helped?
Teesside Witness Service provides a free and confidential service to victims, witnesses and their families before during and after a trial. They give advice, information and support to victims of crime and witnesses at both Crown and Magistrate Courts.

My dad is in prison – is there information to help me understand about this?
Action for Prisoners Families offers help and support to anyone with a relative or friend in prison. Free helpline: 0808 808 2003 (Covers England and Wales. Open Mon - Sat)

Further info:

My dad is in prison – can children visit?
Action for Prisoners Families website contains useful information for anyone with a relative or friend in prison.


What is a Police Community Support Officer?
Police Community Support Officers are members of support staff employed, directed and managed by Cleveland Police. They will work alongside Police Officers to provide a visible and accessible uniformed presence to improve the quality of life in the community and offer greater public reassurance.

What will Police Community Support Officers do?
Their main role is to improve the quality of life in the community and offer greater public reassurance. They will work alongside existing Community Policing Teams to provide a visible and accessible uniformed presence. They will also work with partners and community organisations to address anti-social behaviour, the fear of crime, environmental issues and other factors, which affect the quality of people's lives.

What powers will the Police Community Support Officers have?
All PCSOs will have the following powers:
  • Issuing of fixed penalty notices (eg riding on footpaths; dog fouling; litter).
  • Confiscate alcohol and tobacco.
  • Enter property to save life or prevent damage.
  • Demand the name and address of a person acting in an anti-social manner.
  • Remove abandoned vehicles.
  • Seize vehicles being used to cause alarm or distress.